Thursday, July 16, 2009

Good Times in Bakersfield!

Yes! Our trip to Bakersfield has come and gone. For those who didn't hear, we headed up there Sunday afternoon to facilitate a seminar entitled 'What Is Organic Church?' I cannot expess how long we worked on the Spanish Translations for these materials, but as I was standing up there - they had me on a stage - I was looking at these notes, thinking, 'Don't read to them; speak with them.'

So that's what I did.

we kept coming back to this question: What is the DNA of Jesus' church? I was worried I had repeated myself on that focus. But the next day at breakfast, I spoke with Pastor Joel and as his wife, Ophelia, translated he expressed that, basically, they needed this discussion of DNA. He said there is a big sense of 'What's next?' among his people...many of whom are in active discipleship (58 groups, actually!). So we shared about the effects of having strong D and N but weak A in these groups. I have learned from Pastor Joel and it was encouraging to help with a fresh perspective on th great things God is doing in Bakersfield.

Love you all! Men's retreat this weekend. Then Greenhouse Sunday night. Can't wait!

3 comments:

David F said...

I just ran across your sight from Google. I have to tell you that I am thrilled to hear about what Jesus is doing in and through you. We church in Madera, just north of Fresno. Our DS and D.A.B. gave us the green light to pursue being an organic church. We sold the facility and are, as you would say, "nomadic."

I would love to connect and pick your brain as much as possible.

In particular, I would love to hear more about DNA. I have read a couple books that talk about that term, but would be interested in your take.

bud said...

David, I would love to talk more and hook up. I just did a training seminar in Beardstown and would like to get up to your area and do one, actually.

Sorry it has taken me so long to connect, by the way. I've been travelling a lot, pastoring my brains out, and getting ready for the Fall as well. Peace in Christ, let's talk soon.

David F said...

Let me know the best way to get in contact with you. The easiest way to reach me is foger@bassplayer.cc Shoot me an email and I can send you my contact information.
Thanks