Sunday, July 10, 2011

Jasmine

We have been walking our neighborhood, praying for everyone and every home we pass.  Don't laugh - already we have seen many new opportunities to connect with and encourage people.  Encouragement is huge - not that "Hey, nice to see you," hi-and-bye stuff.  We want to know who we live near, find out where they are headed and encourage them forward - with our prayer and support and, of course, our love.

So what do I know of love?

Tonight, one of our bros spoke about a recent prayer walk during which he discovered Jasmine after Jasmine plant - first by its smell, which does seem to warm you before you realize, yep, right there in front of you is a Jasmine.  Looks like this.


So my brother asked us a question tonight:  what if we all had so much Jesus in us that when people were near us they felt they'd been near Jesus?

If this sounds too touchy fee-ly for you, trust me on one thing:  you smell like someone, and, yep, your scent lingers.  When you walk into a room, people have a sense of who you are before you ever open your mouth.  We are all influenced by innumerable people, wants and desires, fears and hurts, and they all leave a lasting scent.

Jesus promises, though, that we don't need to hate ourselves or enlist in the latest thing to find peace because, he says, he will make his home with us.  He - the source of all peace - comes to us.  Lives in us.  Religion often promises us ways that lead us to ritual which leads us to God.  But Jesus promises he can take us straight to God, because he comes straight to us!

In John 14, Jesus says, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them."

Jesus, make your home in me.  Influence me.  Teach me what love is and reveal to me what little I know of love.  And what little I know of God.  Be strong where I am weak so that when I cross paths with my neighbors, they sense your presence in their lives - like a fresh, delicious and lasting scent,.

No comments: